Saturday, July 30, 2011

taking drags


This is my version of In My Mailbox.

Yesterday, in my mailbox, I received two books sent to me from readers in Virginia and Nevada asking for signatures. They are both copies of The Marbury Lens. I usually slip some extra "stuff" in there when I send them back. We'll see what I have this time.

I got some stickers and a little ink drawing from a really talented artist named A.D. Puchalski. The ink drawing is a picture based on The Marbury Lens. Off to get a frame today, so I can hang it in my office. Thanks, A.D.

Of course, if you've read The Marbury Lens, you can totally tell that's a picture of Conner. (Observe closely). What a great piece of artwork.
 
I also got a copy of a new book called What Comes After by Steve Watkins. I read the book quite a while ago and I really enjoyed it. It's published by Candlewick Press, and in the picture below, I am holding it open because there is a blurb on the back of the dust jacket by... ME.


Sweet.

I also received an email from a reader of The Marbury Lens yesterday. The email begins:

I read Marbury Lens a few weeks ago now, but it is still rattling around in my head. It was a world I will not soon forget. I have never written an author with a question before, but it has been eating at me a bit. So here we go…

...and then she goes on to ask a really terrific question about The Marbury Lens -- one that I don't think anyone has ever asked before. I may actually use that question as the topic for an upcoming blog post.

So, that was some of the stuff in my mailbox yesterday. Um. Regarding the title of this post? I frequently pick random and often unrelated phrases to title posts on the blog. This just happens to be the last chapter title from the book I am currently writing.

Just guess what it's about...