Friday, July 15, 2011

father/son


I do not, as a habit, read other books while I am writing. This means that during the abbreviated periods during the year when I'm not working on something, I devour books.

Now, though, I am doing something uncustomary. I am reading books, and I am simultaneously deep into yet another novel of my own.

Last night, before I went to bed, I stopped by my son's room (as I always do) to tell him goodnight.

I've been reading a particular book and he's been waiting for me to finish it and pass it along.

I had to tell him that I've been reading the book very slowly on purpose. In fact, I'm on the last chapter, but I don't want to finish it because I think it is among my top three brilliant American novels of all time.

I can't wait to pass it on to him.

This is how you market books for boys.

I had an email conversation with a friend a week or so ago. My friend said, "It's difficult to market books to boys."

I wondered if anyone had yet tried to market books to boys.

I'm not convinced that has happened.

I think that books have been marketed, but the marketing strategies are geared toward a particular spending demographic. It's easier that way.

But, for me, it's not difficult at all to market books to boys. It's easy.