Wednesday, March 31, 2010

where it happens


I was asked a few questions for another blog site that shows pictures of writers where they do their writing. I thought it was a lot of fun, so I am "scooping" them by posting my answers here (and don't worry.... more people read that other blog than this one). I'll post a link when they run this bit, too...

What's your favorite possession/writing ritual?

I'm not too into possessions, and I don't know about the ritualistic aspect of writing, if there is one. I am fairly obsessive-compulsive, though, so I feel a deep sense of dread if, when I am writing a novel, something gets in the way of writing time. I don't know what terrible thing would happen if, when writing a novel, I ever didn't write something every day, because I NEVER take days off when working on something. But, I am certain I would probably die in a car crash or something if I ever did take a day off. Or my house would burn down. Or there would be an earthquake.

What's on your bedside table?

On my bedside table, currently, I always keep a bottle of water, a clock, a candle, a wristwatch, a small statue of Ganesh, a pen and writing tablet, contact lens solution, Carmex, a book of poetry by Octavio Paz, my iPhone charger, and a Dodger baseball.

Favorite time to write:

My favorite time to write is in the morning, just after waking up, with lots of black coffee. Usually, this is at about 3:00 a.m.

Cure for writers block:

Sorry. Writer's what??? I don't let myself get it. If I feel jammed up, I know what I have to do... just get those words out onto the manuscript. If it's slow going, I know I will get through it. Head down. Forge ahead. Get it out. Works every time. Besides, if I didn't, something absolutely terrible would happen (see above). Those prospects alone are enough to make someone write.

Heck, maybe I'm not so crazy, after all.

Source of inspiration:

My son, Trevin. He is why I finally got around to writing my first real novel to begin with. When he was about 9, he told me how he wanted to be a writer some day. All I had to do was think about how discouraging my own parents were when I said those same words as a child. I decided to never be like that to my boy. So, he did it. That is all.

Daily writing goal:

When I am in the avert-catastrophic-destruction-of-my-universe phase and am writing a novel, I like to get 1,500 "keeper words" at the end of the day. "Keeper words" have usually been rewritten at least 3 times, though. My first drafts are my final drafts.

Reward for meeting it:

Not having a car accident, house fire, or earthquake. Those are really big rewards in my mind. On days when I do not have car accidents, house fires, or earthquakes, I will often drink a beer. Usually this happens around 4:00 p.m.