Wednesday, November 18, 2009

three a.m.

Sartre said that three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.

So I was asked, as I frequently am, what advice I would give to young people who want to grow up, evolve, attain the splendor that is... well... ME, and become writers.

I said, "Get up at three in the morning."

If you can't get up at three in the morning and start writing, then you're a puss and you should give up on all your dreams immediately.

I think you should consider what is implicit in the preceding admonition.

I think the human soul has the loosest attachment to the body at three in the morning. That's why so many people seem to die right around that time. That, and all those goddamned drunks on the roads in California.

Today, about fifteen minutes ago, I stood outside in my back yard and watched meteors.