Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the wednesday before


Okay. Well, I am working again.

And getting ready for ALA in a couple days, too.

Among the three major projects I have going on right now, I am also finishing up this lengthy questionnaire the people of Square Fish Books gave me, so they can use bits of it for an author Q&A section in the back of my two forthcoming paperback releases of In the Path of Falling Objects and Ghost Medicine.

One of the questions really made me stop and think. First of all, I have a natural aversion to "best" and "favorite" questions. I don't think I have a "favorite" anything or can zero in on a "best" to save my life. Unless there's no competition -- like, who's my favorite male offspring, or who's my best daughter in the world? (I only have one of each. Well, we don't talk about "garage boy" -- the son we've kept hidden behind the lawn tractor for 13 years).

But, anyway, this question I got was something like What's the best advice you ever got about writing?. And, like I said, I have a really hard time zeroing in on "besties." Maybe it's adult ADD. I think it is. In fact, I think that's why I can't sit through watching television.

Maybe if I got some meds I could watch TV.

That's what's wrong with me.

It needs its meds.

So, anyway, I was thinking that I never really got "best" advice about writing from anyone. Except for maybe I before E, except after C. Does that count?

But I wrote a response to the question about the worst advice I ever got about writing. I hear some of the worst stuff also, coincidentally, being most-often repeated. The tantric mantras of things I would absolutely NEVER do.

Oh. Don't worry, I'm going to share the big list of Worst Writing Tips Ever, but I was just wondering about yours.... Do you have a "worst advice for writers" experience, or is it just me?