Thursday, October 14, 2010

the good student


On Tuesday evening, I got to participate in an MFA class discussion at Western Connecticut University. This is a class of graduate students who are finishing their advanced degrees and stepping out into the world as writers.

They don't know how lucky they are.

Well, probably not.

At the very least, they likely underestimate how nice it is being brand new and unproven, to be in the position where everything they possibly do propels -- or inches -- them forward, and there really is no such thing as failure.

That's an enviable place to be.

It gets different later. You'll see.

Another thing that struck me about them is their sense of "community" with their classmates and faculty. I really envied them for what they had going on there. One of the students asked me about my writing "community."

Ugh.

I have two horses and a long, empty, and silent commute between me and anywhere.