Friday, October 10, 2008

okay... so i cussed

I kind of knew it would happen when I did it, but... whatever.

I got an email for dropping an f-bomb in yesterday's blog. I know... I never do that, but I figured nobody ever reads it anyway, and if they do, I figured they'd stop reading before they got to that big bottom paragraph.

So, I'm sorry. But, I want to make it clear that easily half the stuff I say should never be taken seriously. Some of it should. For example:

1) I really am in the room that kills people.

2) I really did get sent here because of the Rainbow Club.

3) I really did make black widow spiders fight with potato bugs when I was a kid.

Just so you know... examples of things not to be taken seriously:

1) I never actually created a black hole in my garage as a teen.

2) I really do not hate kids.

3) Any paragraph I ever write that contains an f-bomb is probably entirely untrue.

Okay, there. I got that off my chest.

Now I'm going to do something which, like Fantasy, I really do not like: I am going to get dangerously close to blogging about politics. It's not that I am not keenly interested in politics, and I am proud to say that I truly know every Article and Amendment to the Constitution... you can test me on it any time. But I also think that writers should write... and if we make a living at fiction, who the heck wants to hear us spouting off about politics?

Anyway, there are ways to get your point across without making it blaringly obvious.

So I was thinking about this "name" thing. Over the years, I guess I have taught several thousand kids. I have a pretty decent memory of most of them; and I figure that I've had maybe a dozen boys who had the name "Hussein." I'm sure there are parts of the country where teachers would be more likely to teach boys with that name... and there are probably parts of the country (maybe near the Arctic Circle) where teachers have never met boys with that name.

But I clearly remember when I was a kid in elementary school how we learned that in America, anyone could grow up to be president one day.

So... am I supposed to tell all these boys that only other kids can be president in America?

Yeah... America's a melting pot, we just want some of our boys to melt on a different burner... away from all the pure folk.

Side note: President Harding's middle name was Gamaliel. Oh... and Rutherford B. Hayes? The "B" was for Birchard.

BoNoBloMo