Tuesday, August 7, 2007

moving this way


Note: I've decided to move my blog from my website (www.ghostmedicine.com) over to here. The old entries will still be on that site, though, at least for a while.

I am leaving the country tomorrow. Again.

And I'm trying to get things done. I am just about through with my edits for GHOST MEDICINE, which will come out next year. Then I have two completed and different versions of my second book, BIRD, which was also sold to my publisher. And, with the help of my incredible agent, Laura, I've been rewriting and polishing up a third novel which I hope to make available soon.

If all that weren't enough, I came home from my run in the hills yesterday morning and my death-machine black cat was in my back yard trying to kill a rattlesnake.

You know I'm no particular fan of cats, but I didn't want to have to tell my daughter that her kitty got killed by a rattlesnake. And the snake was working on doing exactly that, rattling and striking as the cat jumped and clawed.

Unlike dogs, cats do not run away when you yell things like, "Get out of here you stupid idiot!" So I tried to grab the cat's tail and give it a friendly (and lifesaving) fling. And the rattlesnake tried to bite me on the arm, missing by about an inch. So I backed off and convinced the cat to do the same by throwing a brick at her.

Eventually, I managed to kill the snake with the paddle from my kayak (the closest thing on hand).

I felt sorry for the snake, but I can't have those things running (or whatever they do) free in my yard.