Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the day of no letters


I realize I have been not online much at all this past week.

I am working, though, and trying to get ahead.

I realized a long time ago that when you are a writer, nothing at all ever happens in a convenient way for your schedule, so I was expecting a kind of perfect storm of unreasonable demands placed on me this week.

As a result, I prayed really hard for the Doomsday virus to disable all publishing industry computers on Monday.

So far, it seems to have worked.

I know just saying this is tempting fate, because I actually am expecting stuff -- work -- to start coming in any moment now, which is why I've been trying to not get distracted and make more progress on the new book I am writing at the moment.

So I posted a picture on Instagram today.

The topic was Letter.

I took the picture below, which happens to be a photograph of the cover letter to my contract from Penguin for Grasshopper Jungle.

Of all the books I've written, there are two things that stand out in my mind about Grasshopper Jungle. First, it is definitely my favorite book. My apologies to my other children. Second, it is the only book I've written that I know the exact date when I penned the first lines, as well as the exact date when I wrote the last ones (which will kind of make you cry, I think).

Started: July 7, 2011

Finished: October 14, 2011

Length: 105,000 words