Saturday, June 12, 2010

whisper to a scream


I am back.

One of the things about writing that never gets old is receiving letters and email from people all around the world who've read my books. For whatever reasons, I am fortunate enough to have some pretty dedicated pockets of devoted readers in some of my favorite parts of the country (and I'm still trying to figure out why, exactly, I have chosen to make my home in California).

One such favored place is Colorado. Recently, I sent a signed copy of In the Path of Falling Objects to the Smoky Hill Library in Centennial, CO as a gift to one of their young readers who participates in the library's Teen Readathon (don't worry, Terri -- I sent it media mail, so it's moving slow, but it AND some really cool The Marbury Lens bookmarks are on their way).

So I'd like to ask any and all of my writer friends and enemies to help out the library by sending a signed book (YA or MG), some bookmarks, or anything you can spare to The Smoky Hill Library, c/o Terri Clark, 5430 S. Biscay Cir., Centennial, CO 80015-3596.

I know writers talk the talk about saving libraries and library programs, but I can also vouch for the fact that whenever we get a chance to do something, we also pitch in and put something real into the mix, too. After all, without libraries and librarians, we would be nowhere.

And, speaking of librarians in Colorado, I have some special thanks to give one in particular (I won't mention her name), who always brings my books back to some of her favorite young readers. This week, I got this email (the second one from this particular teen reader) from one of my favorite kids in Colorado:

(Our librarian) gave me an ARC of your new book The Marbury Lens and I gobbled up the whole book in two days. I would like to tell you that I thought it was a crazy and wild adventure. I thought about the book so much in fact that I even had a dream based off the book. It really transported me to a different time and place and although it wasn't a very happy book, it was very well written and had new innovative ideas. I would love to know how you got your inspiration for your book because it is so unique. Also I would like to know why you put in the tid-bit about the ghost, Seth.

I would like to let you know that I have shared your books with many of my friends and all of them have loved your work. When I explained the base of The Marbury Lens all of them were very interested to find out what happened next in Jack's story. You are one of my favorite authors and I am thrilled that I have emailed back and forth with you! I can't wait to read what you have in store next. Keep doing what you do best.


Thanks. That's quite a letter, coming from a kid. And that's the biggest reason why we do what we do.