Thursday, June 24, 2010

packing up


I'm packing up to fly back to Washington DC for ALA this weekend.

I saw this report in the New York Times a while back about this packing expert who could get ten days' worth of stuff packed in a single, regular carry-on bag. I'm sure she's also an expert on making guys with tiny laptop bags keep them on the floor beneath their feet because the overhead bins don't even have enough wiggle room in them for a single MacBook in a neoprene sleeve.

Anyway, I don't care nearly enough about such things to try to make everything fit inside a carry-on. You have to fold and roll and organize and plan. I prefer the wad and zip approach to packing. And then I get to where I'm going and I'm, like, why did I pack a wetsuit to go to a book conference?

Oh well.

Here's the schedule for me for Sunday, June 27, at ALA:

8:30 - 10:00am YA Author Coffee Klatch (This is really one of the coolest things they do at ALA. At least it is for me, because I get to "kick it" with authors whom I consider to be heroes.)

11:30am - 1:30pm Bookmobile Sunday, Convention Center Room 207A
(I am going to talk with food in my mouth)

2:00 - 3:00pm Feiwel and Friends Booth 2813 (I will be signing ARCs of The Marbury Lens and copies of my other books, Ghost Medicine and In the Path of Falling Objects)

After that, Katy Perry and Kesha will be performing at a Bloggers' party I am throwing in my suite at the Madison Hotel. Gaga was supposed to be there too, but the Yankees are playing that day.