Tuesday, January 20, 2009

one of those moments

Okay. I almost didn't blog today because I'm in a terribly depressed mood. And I thought, what the hell, it being an international freekin' holiday and all...

So let me just say that I am grateful that my children, who are both too young to know they lived during another presidency, during a time of peace, will have an opportunity to see a new America... and I may get to actually teach them about, and give them examples of, our Constitution restored and functioning.

But yesterday, I got one of those moments a writer lives for. I don't know if anyone else has these, but a girl from Colorado wrote me a message via Facebook. It said:

i just finished ghost medicine and its the greatest book i've ever read
keep writing!!


I can't even begin to say how much it means to me when I get emails and messages like that. And I respond to every one of them... even the so-so ones. Well, to be honest, there's not really been a so-so review.

I wonder sometimes if people like John Green, Laurie Halse Anderson, Jay Asher, or Ellen Hopkins ever gets so many of those kinds of emails it bothers them. I've met all those authors, so I just wonder what it would be like to be inundated with praise from readers you connect with... or if it becomes a chore to express your gratitude for your readers' appreciation.

I don't know.

I'm in a weird funk. I'm going to rest.