Tuesday, December 16, 2008

december with teeth

Well, it's not technically winter, even if it feels like it.

I'm going to make this quick because it's been a long and hectic day. But working on this Gratitude Experiment as I have for nine days now really has had an effect on me. Not that it's changed my attitude in any noticeable way. I'm still cynical and aloof. But what it has done is really made me focus on things for which I am grateful. And I find it hard to narrow in on just one when it comes time to adding it to a list.

So, today I am going to say that I am grateful for horses. I know... that's like the girliest thing I have ever said, but it is true. And my horses contributed so much to my writing of the novel Ghost Medicine.

I have three horses: Reno (he's very kind and noble, with an incredibly patient and accepting personality, just like the Reno in the novel), Arrow (stubborn and cantankerous... sound familiar?), and Dusty (not much like the Dusty in the novel, although a silver buckskin... but very prissy and self-centered).

So, pretty much everything the characters say about horses or horse medicine in the book is true: horses do have their own personalities and they are spiritually powerful. I know that idea may be hard to grasp for a non-horseperson, but it is really true.

Day 9