Tuesday, December 9, 2008

on politics

The people have spoken. This is why the people can't trust Jonah.

That's a line from in the path of falling objects, a moment when the psychopath Mitch launches into a tirade and uses his version of "democracy" to prove he's right.

Okay, yesterday I was homo economico and today I am going to be homo politico. As you probably know, I don't ever express political opinions on my blog, but I am going to today because this has been eating me up for a month now, and this gnawing feeling was made even worse yesterday when I read an article that quoted some ridiculous and offensive comments made by Pat Boone, who I honestly thought was dead... and maybe he is and his wizened and desiccated corpse is being used as some kind of Knucklehead Smiff for a hatemonger ventriloquist.

Oh yeah... I am going to cuss, too.

Here goes:

California, are you fucking kidding me?????

The people have not spoken. This Prop 8 crap, Pat, is not democracy. In fact, it is exactly what James Madison warned our republic about more than 200 years ago: the dangers of a minority faction capturing the political process by spending cash as a means of exerting its power.

Hear me out... and here's the deal:

We have state legislatures to pass laws in the interests of the people. Almost 100 years ago, those legislatures were largely controlled by big business and corrupt political party machinery. Forward-thinking states like Wisconsin and California initiated progressive reforms that reduced the power of parties and big money, but those progressive reforms have now been captured by big-money minority factions... sorry... like churches.

It's ridiculous. California's initiative procedure basically paves the way for well-financed fringe groups to pass legislation. It is not what was intended when Progressive reforms ushered in a new era of politics in the 20th century.

And don't tell me it was fairly and properly put before the voters, Pat. Propositions are deliberately misleading, and the California ballot is routinely so bogged-down with CRAP that voters often skip most of it so they can simply do their duty -- electing officials who act responsibly with their constituents' interests in mind.

If the people want to vote on every single freekin' law, then let's do away with the state legislature entirely. Then we can work out things like budgets, tax codes, environmental standards, and education policies by voting every couple days or so.

But... come on!!! these propositions all start with big money launching campaigns that invariably begin with paid signature collectors who camp out behind folding card tables in Wal-Mart parking lots.

California, do you really want our state's laws proposed, debated, and decided in Wal-Mart parking lots?

No matter what it is, California, vote NO on it if it appears as a proposition on the ballot. No matter how good or emotionally satisfying it sounds, vote NO. Let's give legislative authority back to our republican architecture of government. If your legislator doesn't perform... vote them out. But shame on any church or business who pours millions of dollars into manipulating our state's laws.

That is the essence of anti-Americanism, and it is precisely what the Framers of our Constitutional system of government warned about during the 1780s.

Get a grip, Pat... or Knucklehead... or whoever you are.

There. Now, on a positive note... today I would like to say how grateful I am for where I live... not just the great State of California, but the specific "where." It is beautiful, quiet, and tranquil... the best possible setting for a writer. In fact, that picture at the top of this blog post was taken last spring while I was running with my dog in the hills across the lake from my home.

I am also grateful for Jen, who got me thinking about this gratitude thing enough to try the experiment for myself.

See what happens?

Day 2.