Tuesday, November 4, 2008

watcher's block

Okay, now that I've decided to quit writing entirely and concentrate all my energies into television viewing, I am greatly relieved.

This is the life.

Why didn't I think of this years ago? It comes so naturally and effortlessly to me. I am really good at it. In fact, I love it. I'm thinking of joining a group, too, where we sit around and talk about how we watch television, and critique one another on style issues like our posture and what we wear while watching.

Last night, though, I encountered something other television viewers had warned me about: watcher's block. I don't know what to do about it; in fact, I'm kind of crying right at the moment as I write about it (but I'm not really writing because I am all about quitting that destructive habit).

I just sat there in front of the TV and I couldn't bring myself to turn it on. I was too afraid to commit myself to watching something because I was worried that it wouldn't be great.

Yeah... I got watcher's block big time. I just stare at the green-grayness of the flat screen and come up with all kinds of childish and self-deprecating excuses about why I can't turn the bastard on.

Ugh.

But I really am quitting writing. No more. I think I want to be a gardener now.

Just as soon as I finish this bitch of a book I started writing. Then that's it. I swear.

I'm done.