Friday, June 19, 2009

(re)vision

A lot of the writers I know bemoan the revision/editing process, but, for me, it's the most enjoyable step in the process of seeing your work through to publication.

Maybe it has more to do with the idea of working with trusted teammates, all of whom share the common goal of making the book as good as it can possibly be. At least in my experience, this step usually begins with a bunch of questions. Some of those questions I look at and say, well... duh. The answer's right there in the manuscript. But many of them allow me to add more flesh to the bones of the story I've turned in, and those are the fun ones to answer.

And this is how my editor works, anyway: more from the enabling/asking questions perspective as opposed to the this-is-crap-and-you-need-to-cut-it-by-ten-thousand-words approach. Less stress, a common goal, giving me the freedom to "create" rather than "destroy."

The fun part of the process.