Saturday, October 18, 2008

sciba day

I'm posting an early blog today because I am heading down to Los Angeles for the Southern California Independent Booksellers Association Expo, which is being held at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel.

I'll be signing copies of Ghost Medicine there at 2:30 this afternoon.

I don't think I'll be taking any pictures because I'm going there by myself, and have yet to meet the Macmillan Sales Rep for the area. Good thing people wear those ridiculously oversized badges-on-a-rope at these things, or everyone would be anonymous. Not that I care about such things. I am one who despises wearing a name badge. I mean, it's totally cool for anyone else to do it, but maybe it's just from the time that I had to fly to Europe by myself when I was a kid and I had to wear one of these big, yellow, smiling airplane, unaccompanied minor stickers that said "Look at me! I'm a dork!"

Yeah. I've had some pretty traumatic experiences with name badges before.

But I don't mind going places all by myself. When I was young, I travelled all over the world and got into some pretty ridiculous predicaments all by myself. The good thing about that is the lack of witnesses.

Well, I'll have my iPhone with me, so I may take a cell phone picture or two, depending on the circumstances.

Afterward, I might pop over to Chinatown and buy some illegal weapons or something. It's amazing the kind of stuff you can get in LA's Chinatown. The thing I think is cool is the little square where they have a big statue of Sun Yat Sen, like it's some kind of symbol to everyone saying, "See? Communism is bad."

I don't know. I know a fair amount about Chinese history, and I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Sun had less impact on China than dozens of other political figures who preceded and followed his short period of prominence.

But, I better get moving. I'm going out to feed the horses, go run my five miles, and head down the mountain toward Los Angeles.

BoNoBloMo