Friday, May 6, 2011

may the best horse... #TheBet


Here.

I promised I would do this.

It's intended only to inflict some psychological stress on Catherine Ryan Hyde, Brian Farrey, and Kimberly Pauley in preparation for tomorrow's bet on the Kentucky Derby.

So I went out in my backyard and took a couple pictures of my horses yesterday afternoon, just because it's all springtimey in California. I usually don't like to take pictures of them when they're eating because they can be so uncooperative.

Well... they are, anyway. But they perked up when I told them about the bet.

The white one (she's a silver buckskin) is named Dusty, and the moose-faced mare on the right is named Arrow. They're grounded because Dusty just broke three of my wife's ribs.

Seriously.

Dusty feels bad, but not bad enough to lose her appetite.

I hung a photo of Pants on Fire in her stall. Also, a photo of Justin Bieber.

I can't tell which she prefers.

Race. Tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow is the Awards Presentation for Mrs. Nelson's Young Writers Competition. I have a stake in that, too, since my son, Trevin, won first place overall, and another of my Writer's Group kids -- Kaija -- won honorable mention.

So we're all going down there for the festivities.

It really is a cool competition, and this year Mrs. Nelson's received entries from all over the country. The winner kids actually get published in a book, and they get cool prizes from one of the coolest indie booksellers in Southern California.

So, if you're looking for something to do before THE BET, come down to Mrs. Nelson's, 1030 Bonita Avenue, La Verne, CA 91750 at 1:00 p.m. and join the fun. I hope to see you there.