Tuesday, April 10, 2012

my favorite book


Over the weekend, I wrote about a question I am often asked, one that I don't see many other writers blog about.

Here is another one I get asked with almost predictable regularity:

What is your favorite book that you have written?

Can I say that they are all my favorite books in their own ways?

Because each one of them does something, tells a story, that the others do not. And my favorite book changes from time to time. It is almost NEVER the book I am writing, and it is absolutely, positively never, never, NEVER a book that I am finishing the edits on.

In the "finishing the edits" stage of the process is the precise time when I can certainly make a decision about which of my books I hate the most.

Right at the moment, though, I do have to admit that my favorite book that I have written is next year's Grasshopper Jungle. I like it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is how twisted and demented -- and funny -- it is. I also like it because the book is like a hundred books all put together. It's a kind of tessellation, where all the little sharp pieces all end up clicking magically together and making something groutless and simultaneously unbreakable.

You will see.

I am really excited about this book.

Ask me again in 6 months, and chances are I will hate it.

But I doubt that.