Monday, May 13, 2013

the big day


On Saturday, I was very fortunate to participate in the Ontario City Library's Teen Book Fest 2013. It was a great day filled with so many amazing authors, librarians, teachers, booksellers, bloggers, and lots of teens who love books.

And, thanks to Simon & Schuster and Mrs. Nelson's Books, copies of Winger were available at the event. So many people were talking about this book and scrambling to get copies of it. For the rest of the world, the big day--the book's publish date--is tomorrow, May 14.

And yesterday, which was Mother's Day, Winger was reviewed in the Sunday New York Times Book Review. This is something that's truly beyond amazing; one of those true milestones for an author. So, as tired as I was from a very long day in Ontario (which is a very long distance from my home), I took the kids down from the mountain and found the nearest available copy of the New York Times--a mere 30 miles from my house.

You know how many people get the Sunday Times? In paper, about 1.25 million, and online another million. That's a heck of a lot of love for Winger.

So let me give the opportunity for broadening that circulation:

New York Times Book Review of Winger

Also, I've neglected to mention that I'll be posting a brand-new short story soon.

I lost THE BET.

Every year for the past three years four authors get together and place bets on The Kentucky Derby. You might know those authors are Catherine Ryan Hyde, Brian Farrey, Kimberly Pauley, and myself. The author whose horse crosses the finish line before the others gets to make up a title for the second, who gets to make up a title for the third, who gets to make up a title for the fourth. So three short stories have to be written and posted by June 1.

Brian Farrey won, and my horse was second. So I have to write a short story with Brian's title. He gave me this:

Journey, Crimson, Nightmare, Name

Coming soon.