Friday, August 8, 2008

eight eight eight


I work with some of the coolest people imaginable.

First of all, I have this paper hanging on my wall behind the computer that says, "What would Liz do?" Liz is my editor, and she is kind of seriously amazing. And just thinking about that question helps keep me on track when I'm writing and revising my work. It definitely makes things easier, and I could not have paid for a better writer's education anywhere in the world than I've gotten from her.

The other thing is that she can just write one sentence, or one question to me... and it's like I know exactly what I have to do for an entire book as far as the editorial direction is concerned. At least, I think I do. I could be wrong... but, then again, I am a moron, anyway.

Yesterday, Liz sent me a kind of cryptic email, telling me to look for my mail today. This afternoon, a delivery truck pulled up and I got the first-ever copy of Ghost Medicine, hard-bound... not a galley, not a screen image... the real thing.

I'll be honest, it's kind of scary.

Oh well... back to work.

Thanks Liz.