Tuesday, August 26, 2008

bedfam 2



Yeah. These are the cold eyes of a killing machine. Don't even try messing with me, soul-sucker. The little guy is part of the Shrine of Protection. You do not want to be on the business end of that hammer he's got in his hand. When you're stuck in a room that kills guys, you need backup like this.

Problem is, the little bastard gets into the booze cabinet at night and then makes all these shoes. Just left ones, though.

When I got my box of Advance Reader Copies of Ghost Medicine, I gave most of them out to kids... teenagers. Then they loaned them out to friends, and so it ends up that the book has accumulated a pretty wide readership. This week, a boy who'd read the book shook my hand and told me how much he'd liked the story. He asked lots of questions about it, and I'm going to include some of the questions I've been asked by kids in coming posts. But his was one of the most frequently asked, so I'm going to start with that one.

He asked, "So, where does Ghost Medicine take place?" When I get asked that question, I usually just shrug and say, "Anywhere." It's something that I did (and do in all my books) on purpose -- I leave some things deliberately ambiguous and unanswered. After all, there are always going to be things in every story that ever gets told -- truth or fiction -- that don't have complete and cozy answers.

So, I often ask people where they think the story takes place. And I get a whole lot of answers. I like that, because most of the answers individuals give me in some way connect to those readers' own experiences, and that's exactly what I was shooting for with that particular element of ambiguity.

Okay, it is bedfam 2 (Blogging Every Day For A Month, day two). Next Tuesday, Ghost Medicine will be on the shelves in the local bookstores. I still haven't decided if I'll go in and look or not. It's pretty weird thinking about it.


Still going crazy. More SOP pictures coming, too...
--A.S.